WHATEVER THE WEATHER Theme Activities
Try to choose at least one activity a day
- Visit PURPLE MASH for 2Do’s based on weather and seasons
- Visit the BBC Weather page and talk about how the forecast works. Find out how the Met Office predicts the weather. Are they always right? Every night before you go to bed, try guessing what the weather will be like the next day and see how often you are right! Use BBC Weather to find out what the weather is like in different parts of the UK or even in other countries! www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650346
- Design a set of symbols to represent each type of weather and display the relevant symbol each day.
- Think of a way to record the weather over the next two weeks. This could be a diary, poster chart or pictogram
- Make a rain gauge from a plastic bottle. Measure and record how much rain falls each week until we come back to school (see video at the bottom of this page)
- Find out about the water cycle works and draw a diagram with labels and captions to explain it
- Make a water cycle in a bag! (see video at the bottom of this page)
- Make a rain cloud in a jar (see video at the bottom of this page)
- Draw a rainbow to display in your window (if you haven’t already!) You could be more creative and use paints or collage. If you have chalks, you could draw a rainbow at the front of your house.
- Make your own rainbow with a mirror, glass of water and a torch! (see experiment instructions below)
- Sunny day? Explore shadows. Try making shadows using different objects and yourself! Can you make your shadow tall? Can you make it short? What shadow shapes can you make using your body? What
is a shadow? What do you need to create a shadow? How could you make a shadow indoors?
- Make a sundial with a paper plate! (see picture below). Mark off each hour throughout the day. How does it work? Will it be accurate every day? Why?
- Design and make a wind chime from household objects like cutlery, old keys or tin cans (see picture below for inspiration!)
- Visit TWINKL for lots of printables based on the weather including weather charts and flash cards