FOOD and HEALTHY EATING Theme Activities
Try to choose at least one activity a day
- Visit PURPLE MASH for 2Do’s based on food and healthy eating
- Find out about the different food groups and how to eat a balanced diet
- Design a healthy eating poster
- Plan a healthy eating menu
- Write a shopping list of foods you need before visiting the supermarket
- Try out some simple recipes or help cook the family meal
- Keep a food diary for a week, recording what you eat for breakfast, lunch, tea, supper and snacks. Are you eating a healthy balanced diet? How can you make it healthier?
- Find out about Fairtrade foods
- Create some potato print art work
- Do a Mystery Taste Challenge – Put on a blindfold and ask someone to pass you some different foods to taste. Can you guess what they are?
- Carry out an Invisible Ink Experiment - Write a secret message using food! (see video below)
- Investigate solids, liquids and gases and observe changing states using water and other foods (melt chocolate and butter in a recipe, freeze juice to make homemade ice lollies etc.)
- Observe a bean growing (see picture below). Measure your bean. Make a bean diary (draw a picture and write a caption each week to record how it changes).
- Take ten food items and put them in alphabetical order
- Create a supermarket role-play area. You could use real packets and tins of food. Write price tags for each item and practise your money Maths skills to ‘sell’ your items to your family!
- Visit TWINKL for lots of printables based on food and healthy eating
- Make your own butter! (scroll down for instructions)
How to Make Your Own Butter
You will need:
A jam jar with a tight seal
A tub of double cream (must be room temperature)
- Pour the cream into the jar, leaving at least a third empty.
- Shake the jar until the fat completely solidifies and separates from the milk. This should take about 6 minutes shaking once a second. You could pass the jar around to different people so you don’t hurt your arms!
- Drain the milk from the jar and spread your butter on some bread! Yum!